Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Chador

The other day I was waiting for the car to pick me up and take me to my English class. I saw an Indian lady wearing a shalwar kameez (Baggy trousers and long top) and no chador! I was a bit shocked that she was brave enough to hit the streets of Qum chador-less! Its funny how back in England, seeing a woman wearing regular clothes is ok, but here, if you haven’t got 5 layers on, you feel naked!

Anyways later that day, on the return journey, as I was walking home, my chador got caught on a nail. I didn’t realise and carried on walking. Before I knew it, my chador was yanked off my head and there I was standing ‘naked’ on the streets of Qum!!

The chador is a 5 metre piece of black fabric, full length and semi circular. It sits on the head and is open at the front. No hand openings or closures and is held by hands! There are different styles of chador. The Melli chador (or Arab chador) which is closed down the front and has sleeves and also the Lebanese chador , which is similar to the Melli chador.

Although wearing modest clothing is required by law in Iran, wearing the chador is not. Having said that, 99% of the women in Qum wear it as a sign of piety and respectability. I find the chador annoying. It constantly falls off my head or gets trapped in things! The worst thing is trying to do the weekly shopping. Picture this, a school bag, groceries bag, fruit and veg bag – the chador doesn’t stand a chance! Love it or loathe it, wearing the chador makes one stand out less here in Qum.

No comments: