Friday, December 3, 2010

Qum vs Damascus

One of the first things that people ask me when they meet is what the differences are between studying in Qum and Damascus and which one I prefer.

I prefer Qum, without a doubt. The city there was geared around studying and students. You can tell someone there that you can't do something or go somewhere because of exams and they will believe you. Not only that, if you go to the mosques at exam time, you will see people studying together. There are also big supermarket-type-stores that sell things at a discount and once in a while, the school gives out things like rice, material for chadors, vouchers etc.

There's something magical about the atmosphere in Qum which I just can't put into words. And that just doesn't exist in Syria. Sure, Damascus is a great place to come and learn Arabic, and you can get pretty much everything here (in the city centre) and I love living a 7 min walk away from the shrine of Sayyidda Zainab, and it's great seeing so many people passing through here on pilgrimage (we didn't get that many visitors in Qum), but there is definitely something missing here.

We have private classes in Damascus, so I really miss the social aspect of studying in a university. No one to practise Arabic with at break times (I am the only girl in the class!) But the upside is that I have a 2 minute commute to class!

No comments: