Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My washing machine


My washing machine is ghetto. There is no other word to describe it! I was explaining the concept to a British lady who was visiting here last week and she said that it was exactly how she used to do her laundry in 1960s England!

There are 2 tubs.




The clothes go into the left tub.

I fill it up with water from the tap, via a hose. Throw in some detergent and turn the dial. Once the cycle is done, I have to drain out the water and refil it again with tap water. On the second cycle, I add fabric softner too. One cycle runs for 15 mins, but I usually do 2 cycles with detergent and one with fabric softner.

After draining out the water, the clothes go into the right tub to be wrung out.


It takes about an hour to do one load of laundry and I have to constantly babysit the washing machine! If I'm doing whites, I have to remember to turn the water heater on, as I tend to 'boil' the white clothes. The clothes come out reasonably clean, although all the dirt tends to magnetise itself to one piece of clothing (usually my black dress trousers!)

It's all part of the 'living in the third world' experience ;-)

No comments: