Monday, November 23, 2009

Smug people

I really hate smug people.

You don't get a lot of the convenience food in Qum that we're used to back home. There is no concept of sticking something in the micro and 5 mins later having a meal in front of you. Most things have to be made from scratch. (perhaps that's why most people loose weight here - because they can't be bothered to prepare meals/snacks themselves).

So when a new product comes out in the shops, I get really excited. The latest additions to the grocery list include frozen chips and frozen veggies! (We get the tinned ones here already, but I think they look very anaemic - esp the peas).

I once made the mistake of telling one such smug person that I found frozen chips in the grocery store. She spent the next half hour explaining to me the benefits of the homemade variety, how its better to do it yourself, how her husband doesn't like anything that isn't homemade, how eating chips doesn't fill you up. Jeez, I wish I'd kept my mouth shut. In reply to said smug person, I'd just like to say:

1. I'm not a stepford housewife. I'd rather go out and see the world and have fun rather than be chained to the kitchen peeling potatoes.
2. Train your husband better - a time will come when he will have to eat leftovers/freezer food etc. Or better still, teach him how to cook!
3. If such convenience food exists in Qum, make the most of it! After all, the mullas will be buying and eating it too, so who are we to deny ourselves such things! :-)

The other variety of smug people are the ones that withold information from others. What's the problem with telling people where you got something from or which classes/programmes are taking place. Share information people! It can be very frustrating for new people to find their feet in a new place with such barriers put in front of them.

That's my whinge for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yah, ditto on the weight loss thing. I think only if you live in Tehran and the richer areas at that is fast food really common and easy to get.
Anytime Im in Iran for the summer I loose atleast 15-20lbs cuz when I go, I'm in a tiny village 1hr from Esfahan and there you have choice of kabab...yogurt...bread...fruit...vegetables and maybe 1-2 odd sweets
thats it!
Oh and eggs or cakes if you pester someone to walk to the neighboorhood shop.

Really, I loose so much weight there, I become a mast-o-khiyar eating machine...cuz its the only that staves off hunger pangs between meals...that and sweet tea...

LOL

But, I totally love getting a yummy "badari" sandwich in the nearby town and anytime we go into town make sure I buy atleast two, plus chips and coke! ah yes...such yumminess!