Saturday, July 5, 2008

Do not read if you are Monica from Friends or Iranian!

In my previous visits to Iran, I've found that Iranians are amongst the most hospitable in the world. Even this time round, I've met a few genuinely nice people too. When I started this blog, I promised the Husband that my blog would not become my arena for venting out against Iranians. But that was before we got the keys to our place!

Finally, after millions of phone calls, meetings set up with the previous tenants and the middle guy, we got the keys to our place :-)

The family who live in the basement (and manage the property in the absence of the landlady) warned the Husband on the phone. The Iranians had left the place in a mess and we should bring black bags with us.

So, armed with my 'luxury' yellow gloves, hoover, cleaning fluids and black bags, the Husband dropped me at our new home to start cleaning. Our neighbour wasn't joking! I filled up 7 black bags within the first half hour. While the Iranians have completely stripped the place (they've even taken the light bulbs!), they have left behind at least a years worth of garbage and dust!

The kitchen was by far the worst. (Shame, as its a really nice kitchen). I found a variety of surprises, particularly under the cupboards:

Rotten pomegranates and lemons
Split bag of popcorn
Rock hard okra
Broken glass on the floor
Broken plates in the cupboards
A bowl of water with a dead grasshopper
A years worth of grime on the cupboards and shelves
etc

For some reason, they had taken doors off some of the kitchen cupboards and covered the cabinet handles in silver foil!

The second worst area was the bit by the bathroom sink, where I found:

Old newspapers
The contents of the hoover bag
Toe nail clippings
Plum stones
A bag of mouldy bread
and other stuff that I'm trying to block out!


So guys, if you're passing this way, please feel free to drop by with your yellow gloves, cleaning fluid and CD player! The more the merrier!!

1 comment:

Alita said...

Wow, did you clean all of that on your own? and I'm sure one pair of gloves isn't enough!

Good luck!